Simone Velasco (Astana) was awarded the third stage of the Volta a la Comunitat Valencianaimposing his top speed in a trio that completed Bob Jungels (Bora) and Jonas Gregaard (One-X)coming from a leak that formed 100 km from the finish line from which components fell to finally obtain the prize. The squad, launched by Bahrain and Movistar, who worked for Alex Aranburu (fourth to three seconds), hesitated in the last kilometer and that breathed life to Velasco y co.
A hard day, in which we had to overcoming Oronet (2nd) and Garbí (1st) with 30 km to go and it was very fast, at an average of 44 km/h. Without truce. Velasco (27 years old) achieved the fourth victory of his career, after a stage in the Tour de Limousin, another in the Coppi and Bartali Week and the Laigueglia Trophy.
Giulio Ciccone (Trek), who saved the last 10 km with a flat tire, remains the leader waiting for the stage on Saturday (4:00 p.m., TDP and Eurosport), which is considered the queen ending at the top of the Cueva Santa (8 km at 5%), a second ascent after tackling two more second and two third.
1. Simone Velasco (Ita/Astana), 3:13:47
2. Bob Jungels (Lux/Jumbo), mt
3. Jonas Gregaard (Din/One-X), mt
4. Alex Aranburu (Esp/Movistar), 3 seconds away.
5. José J. Rojas (Esp/Movistar), mt
1. Giulio Ciccone (Ita/Trek), 12:30:50
2. Pello Bilbao (Span/Bahrain), 3 sec.
3. Aleksandr Vlasov (Russian/Bora), 6
4. Alex Aranburu (Esp/Movistar), 10
5. Anthon Charmig (Din/One-X), mt