The origin of maca dates back about 2,500 years: it was already consumed by indigenous peoples of the highlands and used by shamans to help people’s fertility.
The bed (Lepidium peruvianum, Lepidium meyenii) What is now known as a superfood, is an annual or biennial tuber shaped like a radish, native to the highlands of Peru and Bolivia, where it is grown from 2,700 meters above sea level to 4,300. The root has properties that increase libido and fertility in both men and women.
Common litter properties
- Rich in essential minerals: magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, bismuth, manganese, sulfur, sodium, copper, selenium, iodine, silicon, iron and tin.
- Provides vitamins B1 and B2, vitamin C and vitamin E.
- It is antioxidant, energizing and revitalizing.
- Increases libido and improves fertility: increases the number and movement of sperm.
- Reduces premenstrual symptoms and menstrual pain.
- Stimulates the formation of red blood cells.
- Helps in cases of anemia.
- It regulates cholesterol and helps with diabetes, increasing the activity of the pancreas.
- It has anti-stress and anti-depressant properties.
- Reduces osteoporosis.
- Increases learning and memory capacity.
- Reduces fatigue symptoms.
We can find different types of maca with its own characteristics and effects, which are defined by the external color of the root. Depending on the color, the concentrations of its components vary.
This variety has a greater quantity of antioxidant elements, such as carotene or niacin, in addition to other components necessary for the proper functioning of the body, such as vitamin C, zinc, iron and calcium.
It is mainly used in cases of osteoporosis, for bone regeneration, and in cases of prostate cancer, to reduce inflammation. Therefore, red maca is especially suitable for people over 40 years old.
The effects of black maca are much faster and more powerful than any other type. It is mainly characterized by increased physical and sexual endurance, male and female fertility, and mental focus.
- It is very revitalizing, increases stamina and reduces the effects of stress and fatigue.
- It also encourages a good mood.
- It improves memory, concentration and learning more than any other stretcher.
- It increases fertility, as it increases the number of sperm and their mobility.
- It contributes to the good performance of the ovaries, as it helps to regulate the menstrual cycle.
The main benefits of consuming yellow maca would be the following:
- Helps reduce symptoms of stress and fatigue.
- It acts as a natural energizer and stimulant.
- Antioxidant capacity helping to slow cell aging.
Contraindications for the consumption of maca
As long as its consumption is not abused, maca has no adverse effects. As it is an energy product, one of the main negative effects can be insomnia, which will be resolved by avoiding the consumption of maca at night.
In any case, it is always advisable, before using any of these products, to consult your specialist doctor.
Pregnant and nursing women should not consume maca.