The turnover of electronic commerce in Spain has increased in the second quarter of 2021 by 13.7% year-on-year to reach 13,661 million euros, according to the latest e-commerce data available on the portal CNMCData.

The first quarter of 2020, when the pandemic had not yet affected Spain, online sales began to show that they would be one of the most powerful sales channels for brands. In this quarter, the sectors that were obtaining the best results were: travel agencies and tour operators, air transport and clothing. Things have changed a lot since then and this new data confirms that there are trends that are here to stay.

The sector with the best figures in e-commerce in Spain is: clothing

In the second quarter of 2021, the sectors of activity with the highest income were the clothing, with the 8.4% of the total turnover; the auxiliary services to financial intermediation, with the 6.3% and the gambling and betting, thirdly, with the 4.5%. Last year, subscriptions for television channels and hypermarkets, supermarkets and grocery stores could be found in the Top 3.

If we look at the number of transactions, in the second quarter of 2021, more than 279 million transactions have been registered, 14.5% more. The department stores lead the ranking by sales (8.4%).

We continue with a high percentage of sales abroad

Regarding geographic segmentation, 41.4% of revenues in the second quarter of 2021 were destined for Spain. The remaining 58.6% corresponds to purchases originating in Spain made abroad.

The net foreign balance (the difference between what is bought from abroad to Spain and what is bought from Spain abroad) yields a deficit of 6,730 million euros.

By number of transactions, 32.4% of sales were destined for Spain and 67.6% abroad.

The turnover of transactions with origin in Spain and directed abroad has been 8,010 million euros, 12.1% more than in the second quarter of the previous year. 87.0% of purchases from Spain abroad are made in shops located in the European Union.

The branches of activity with the highest volume of business from Spain to the outside are clothing (11.3%), auxiliary services to financial intermediation (10.1%) and gambling and betting (5 ,4%).

On the other hand, sales from abroad with Spain have reached a turnover of 1,280 million euros, 21.0% more than in the second quarter of the previous year. 63.8% of purchases from abroad come from the European Union.

Likewise, the areas of activity related to the tourism sector (which groups travel agencies, air transport, land transport, car rental and hotels) account for 47.0% of purchases from abroad with Spain.

E-commerce revenue within Spain have risen 14.5% year-on-year to 4,372 million euros. They lead the billing within Spain, the public administration, taxes and social security (11.2%), followed by hypermarkets, supermarkets and food stores (8.5%).

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here