Morocco He is experiencing dramatic hours after suffering the devastating impact of a magnitude 6.8 earthquake that has so far left more than 2,000 dead and hundreds injured in several regions near Marrakesh. He King Mohammed VI, accompanied by him Crown Prince Moulay el Hassan, led this Saturday a working session to study the situation, accompanied by the country’s political and military leadership, in order to draw up a plan to help and rescue those affected, the majority of whom are in rural areas. But there is currently no evidence that Rabat has officially requested international help.
Some even regret that the Moroccan government is blocking the arrival of international aid. That’s how he denounced it Arnaud Fraisse, founder of the French organization Secouristes sans frontières, in statements to France Inter. “We would have liked to get on a plane that would take off from Orly, but unfortunately we still have no agreement with the Moroccan government,” laments Fraisse. “The Moroccan government is blocking all rescue teams except the one from Qatar, which can land there. We do not understand this blockade situation.” According to this source, more than 100 aid teams have informed the United Nations that they may intervene in Morocco. “If we don’t have the green light tomorrow morning, we won’t go,” he said.
This statement is consistent with the statement made this Sunday by the French diplomatic authorities, who have assured that the government of Morocco has not yet requested international assistance to alleviate the effects of the catastrophic earthquake. “Morocco has not submitted a request for international assistance at this time,” the French Foreign Ministry spokesman said. Anne Claire Legendrein statements to the television station BFM TV.
A Moroccan diplomatic source told Efe early Sunday afternoon Morocco finally accepted the participation of rescue teams from Spain, the United Kingdom, the Arab Emirates and Qatar. and stressed that the Maghreb country does not currently need any other type of assistance.
On the other hand, the Foreign Minister said, Jose Manuel Albares, announced that his Moroccan counterpart officially asked Spain for help this morning, so the government has already launched the device. Spain will send a plane with teams from the Military Emergency Unit (UME), Civil Protection and the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (Aecid). It should be recalled that it took Morocco almost 24 hours to ask the Spanish government for formal assistance.
The strongest earthquake that the Maghreb country has suffered in a hundred years, stronger than that which struck Agadir in February 1960 or that in Al Hoceima in 2004, has left scenes of devastation in the affected areas, mostly in remote rural areas leave behind cities. Dozens of countries have shown their solidarity with those affected and with the Moroccan government, which dozens of governments have offered to help. Some, such as Spain itself, the United States, France, Israel, Canada, Australia, Germany and Tunisia, are already sending this aid, this newspaper has learned.
The United Arab Emirates has established an airlift, the USA announced Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan On Saturday morning, a corridor was set up to bring emergency aid to the affected population groups.
what help is needed
Actually, it’s because Morocco hasn’t officially asked for international help It’s not unusual, said Patrick Sauce, defense expert for French broadcaster BFMTV, who recalled that it also happened in Turkey in the earthquake earlier in the year. “Extensive evaluation work is required in order to be able to submit a request for assistance and to determine the necessary needs for the implementation of the operations,” said French diplomatic spokeswoman Anne-Claire Legendre.
It was “a very complicated and long-term task,” he explained. Lahcen Haddad, former Moroccan tourism minister, told the above-mentioned media. In his opinion, The international call for inquiries could be made “in perhaps 72 hours.”
Aid to deal with disasters of this type is very extensive and comprehensive, ranging from psychological care for victims to first medical aid, including food, blankets and tents, as well as field hospitals trained dogs and well-equipped lifeguards.
The Algerian authorities They also responded despite the severance of diplomatic relations between the two neighboring countries, announcing the opening of their airspace to “flights carrying humanitarian aid, the wounded and affected,” according to a statement from the Algerian presidency.
The situation in the affected areas is very complicated because Some damaged areas became inaccessible overnight and the emergency services could only intervene at dawn.
Mohamed VI has launched a plan to carry out relief operations by mobilizing the Royal Armed Forces, local authorities, police and civil protection teams. An interministerial commission has also been set up that will be responsible for implementing an emergency rehabilitation program and helping to rebuild destroyed houses in disaster areas.