US Open: Schwartzman said goodbye in the round of 16

The porteño Diego Schwartzman (14 of the ATP ranking) lost this Sunday to the Dutch Botic Van de Zandschulp (117) by 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 5-7 and 6-1 and said goodbye in the round of 16 of the US Open, fourth and last Grand Slam of the tennis season, which takes place on a concrete surface in New York, in the United States.

The “Peque” Schwartzman fell to the Dutch Van de Zandschulp, after a battle of 4 hours and 19 minutes in which he had managed to come back two sets against.

Schwartzman, who had not given up a set in the first three rounds, was outmatched by an opponent coming from the qualifying round. and that, without any title in his record, he has already left out two members of the ATP Top-20, since he had previously eliminated the Swede Casper Ruud (8).

The Peque made a great display of character, also saving four match points, two in the fourth set and as many in the fifth and decisive heat., but he ultimately fell short of the quarterfinals, his best result at the US Open, in 2017 and 2019.

With this performance, the European already crowned the best performance of his career and in the quarterfinals he will face the Russian Daniil Medvedev, number 2 in the world and one of the candidates to stay with the tournament, who today beat Briton Daniel Evans (27) by 6-3, 6-4 and 6-3.

Schwartzman, previously he had eliminated the Lithuanian Ricardas Berankis (96), the South African Kevin Anderson (77) and the Slovak Alex Molcan (138), and he was the only Argentine left in the last Grand Slam of the year.

Read Also:  Aston Martin Reveals Official News of Alonso's Upgraded Front Wing for Upcoming R Racing Debut

The other national representatives were left on the road: Federico Coria (62), Federico Delbonis (47) and Nadia Podoroska (37) fell in the initial round, while Guido Pella (85) and Marco Trungelliti (198) from Bahia succumbed in second round; and Santa Fe Facundo Bagnis (80), in the third phase.

At doubles draw there is still hope for Horacio Zeballos, who together with the Spanish Marcel Granollers will play his round of 16 match this Monday before the pair made up of the Pakistani Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and the British Jonny O’Mara.

This Sunday the other Argentine who was in competition in doubles, Andrés Molteni, who in a couple with the Mexican Santiago González, fell to the pair made up of the German Kevin Krawietz and the Romanian Horia Tecau by 6-2 and 7-6 (7-5).

.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here