UCAM Murcia survives Turkish hell and will be in the round of 16

UCAM Murcia achieved a prestigious victory this Wednesday on the Pinar Karsiyaka track, where he extinguished the Turkish passion and sealed their qualification for the round of 16 of the FIBA ​​Champions League by winning 89-96 in a game that turned in their favor with a 17-33 in their favor in a spectacular last quarter.


89. Pinar Karsiyaka (22+28+22+17): Jaylon Brown (9), Sipahi (12), Angola (7), Vitto Brown (11) and Delgado (16) -starting five-, McCollum (21), Kilili (6), Durmaz (-), Tirpanci (-) and Kuzminskas (7).

96. UCAM Murcia (22+25+16+33): Bellas (3), McFadden (10), Anderson (8), Radovic (13) and Pustovyi (10) -starting five-, Trice (17), Davis (2), Sakho (4), Diop (12), Jelínek (13), Rojas (4) and Andronikashvili (-).

Referees: Ademir Zurapovic, from Bosnia and Herzegovina; Paulo Marques, from Portugal; and Martins Kozlovskis, from Latvia. No deleted.

The second match of the playoffs in the continental competition was faced by those from the capital of Segura with the advantage given by the 97-92 score achieved in the first, which they played at home, but They needed one more win and their goal was to achieve it without having to face this rival again at the Palacio de los Deportes.

The clash, with the precedents of the series held in 2018 and marked by extra-sports, with the launching of goals on the track and even the aggression of a fan against Sadiel Rojas, captain of the granas, began with a somewhat rarefied atmosphere after what also happened the day before, with local supporters creating a ruckus at dawn next to the hotel where UCAM CB was staying and with the local club leaving deflated balls Sito Alonso’s players to train on an auxiliary track of the pavilion and not on the main one, as was required.

In that context El Pinar took the lead at the start at Karsiyaka Spor Salonu (12-5) and the exchange of baskets meant that the advantage was more or less maintained in the following minutes. However, the appearance of Nemanja Radovic allowed the granas to take advantage for the first time in the match at 18-19 after two free throws by Ilimane Diop that closed a 0-7 run.

Read Also:  WTC Points Table: Impact of England vs West Indies Match - Latest Standings and Predicted Changes

The first forced stop of the match was reached with equality (22-22) after an initial quarter in which UCAM CB showed the strength to hold on the rival’s first arreón and his passionate fans.

The second quarter began with an offensive jam on the part of both teams and the first to come out of it was the Spanish team, who had a four-point lead after a triple by James Anderson (30-34).

Precisely from the triple -three in a row-, the Pinar returned to take command (39-37), which led Sito Alonso to stop the match with a timeout.

Errick McCollum, with 14 points, led the Ottoman attack in a first half that concluded with his team three goals up (50-47) and UCAM CB performing better in attack than in defense, although with the debt of lost balls -eight in the first two periods-.

In any case, everything was to be resolved at the restart and there, After an initial three-pointer that put the Ufuk Sarica with six points of income (53-47), the Murcian reaction came, starring especially Anderson, who threw gallons (57-58). The university team had the game more or less where they wanted at that point in the clash and after having almost always been in tow, but a 9-0 seemed to weigh like a stone.

The inspiration was found by the Turks to open the gap (66-58). Two three-pointers by Kenan Sipahi made the run 15-2, leaving the game well on track for the home team (72-60) in the last minute of the third quarter. Three free throws from Travis Trice stopped the bleeding and allowed the distance to be cut slightly and in the final ten minutes it was -9 for the university students (72-63).

The Spanish team continued their progression at the beginning of the last quarter and managed to enter the final five minutes very close to their rival after a triple by David Jelínek (79-76). With 2 minutes and 27 remaining, another triple by Thad McFadden tied the game at 83 and a 3+1 shot from Jelínek made it 85-87 at 1:23.

Already at the last minute, Jelínek himself and Trice, with two triples, fired at their team that ended up winning what seemed to be a more than difficult match. With a good collective game -six visiting players in ten or more points- it was shown that the stands help but do not win games.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here