Two more people die in protests in Peru and the total number rises to ten

Two people died this Thursday in a protest in the Peruvian city of Ayacucho, in which they tried to take over the town’s airport, bringing the death toll to ten since Sunday in demonstrations demanding the resignation of the president. Dina Boluarte, the departure of Congress and the convening of a constituent assembly.

"After the death of two people and dozens of people injured during an attempt to take over the airport by protesters, we demand that the Joint Command of the Armed Forces of Peru immediately cease the use of firearms and tear gas bombs launched from helicopters"requested the Ombudsman’s Office on his Twitter account.

Shortly before, the Regional Health Directorate (Diresa) of the central department of Ayacucho detailed in a statement the death of the first victim, who died as a "consequence of the confrontations that take place in the vicinity of the Alfredo Mendívil Duarte airport".

Previously, local media reported that the protesters had tried to take over the airport and that the Peruvian National Police (PNP) together with the Armed Forces pushed them back.

Police sources even denounced that the demonstrators have fired at the airport.

The Ayacucho Diresa also confirmed that ten people were injured and are being treated at the Conchopata Health Center and the Ayacucho Regional Hospital.

He added that, at this time, ambulances, firefighters and health brigade members are mobilized for the first care and transfer to the nearest health establishments.

The demonstrations began timidly on December 7, after Congress removed former President Pedro Castillo, hours after he decided to dissolve Parliament, announced that he was going to form an emergency executive, who was going to govern by decree, reorganize the system of justice and convoke a constituent assembly, which was qualified by the majority as a coup d’état.

Read Also:  Interpol Confirms Giannina García Troche Was Traveling Alone Without Children When Last Seen

On Sunday the protests began to multiply, especially in the southern regions of Apurímac, Arequipa or Cuzco. Since then, ten people have died.

This Thursday the state of emergency decreed by the Government came into effect and numerous demonstrations, the majority peaceful, were registered in the country’s provincial capitals, accompanied by a strong police guard reinforced with the presence of the Armed Forces, according to EFE. .

All these marches, which are attended by members of unions, peasants, civil organizations and grouped citizens, take place under a strong police presence, as EFE was able to attest in Arequipa, the country’s second largest city.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here