Home Science This plant is very poisonous, but it has many benefits.

This plant is very poisonous, but it has many benefits.

aconito azul planta venenosa

aconite is aconitum napellus , one of the most poisonous plants in the terrestrial flora. Originally from Europe, it is also ornamental par excellence, given its beauty. An interesting plant in many ways. Meet!

Also known by the popular names of Jupiter’s helmet, friar’s hood, Jupiter’s helmet, napello, anapelo, and aconite, aconite has been known since ancient times and used as a poison.


And that’s exactly where its meaning comes from. Its name derives from the Greek akòniton (= poisonous plant).

This Greek name was also used in the mythology of Mediterranean peoples as a synonym for “maleficence” or “revenge”. It was used to bathe the points of darts and spears with monk in combat or hunting.

In popular belief, Wolfsbane is believed to ward off vampires;

Some believe that Cleopatra, the Egyptian queen, was poisoned with a cocktail made from monks instead of dying from the bite of a viper;

In history, there are not few reports of aconite poisoning by authorities, politicians and priests. In mythology, Medea tried to poison Theseus with aconite, and also in several television series, comics, and movies, the plant is associated with poisoning, murder, and magic;

In ancient times, aconite was used to poison arrowheads and darts in battle. It was also used as a poison to annihilate enemies.


Its medicinal use, in homeopathy and allopathy is used as:

  • sedative,
  • diuretic,
  • analgesic,
  • used in the treatment of anxiety
  • of panic syndrome
  • in episodes of agitation
  • interest
  • nervous palpitations
  • to calm people before and after surgery,
  • but also to treat the flu
  • injuries sustained during sport
  • neuralgia
  • inflammatory diseases
  • rheumatism,
  • spasmodic cough
  • ulcers,
  • hypertension,
  • ear and throat pain

For homeopathic use, the medicine is obtained by submitting the mother tincture obtained from the homonymous plant in a fresh state, to the usual dilution process and collected before the end of flowering.

Its use must be restricted and only under the constant supervision of the doctor who prescribed it.

The parts of the plant used are the leaves and mainly the roots, the tuber, where most of its active ingredients are concentrated.


The plant’s toxicity is due to the presence of aconitine (its main active ingredient). Due to the power of the alkaloid substance, attention should also be paid to contact with the skin through which the substance can penetrate.

If ingested, it can cause lethal consequences for the body within hours.

Accidental ingestion of the plant can cause serious damage to health:

  • feeling of anguish
  • loss of sensation
  • slow breathing
  • heart weakness
  • tingling in the face
  • ringing in the ears
  • blurred vision
  • contraction in the throat that can even cause death by suffocation.

Its toxicity is so high that a very small amount of aconitine would be enough to cause the death of an adult male.


Intoxication is very rapid, after a latency period between 10 and 90 minutes from ingestion to the appearance of the first symptoms, the person develops a series of symptoms:

  • palpitations, shortness of breath, hypotension, bradycardia, tachycardia, ventricular arrhythmia, pulmonary edema;
  • nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea; in addition to sensory and motor disorders;
  • Itching and tingling that spreads from the mouth to the entire face and after the fingertips progresses to the extremities with a tendency to spread throughout the body until total anesthesia.

Watch out for these signs that represent serious poisoning:

  • shortness of breath, bradycardia, weak pulse, hypotension;
  • High fever;
  • rapid pulse and breathing:
  • psychomotor agitation.

Within 2 to 6 hours, poisoning can cause feeling cold, a drop in body temperature, sweating, nausea, vomiting, and heart rhythm disturbances. The pulse becomes weak and the person may be immobilized due to generalized paralysis of skeletal muscles, and death may occur from respiratory paralysis.


In mild cases, it is advisable to induce vomiting or perform gastric lavage a few minutes after ingestion.

If the person who participated in the plant is rushed to the hospital, there is a high chance of recovery, proportional to the amount ingested.

After absorption of low doses, with no antidote available, therapy can only be symptomatic, maintaining regular temperature, heart rate and breathing.

For very high doses, death can be almost instantaneous.


As this is a very dangerous plant, it’s important not to touch everything you see. Aconite is beautiful, so some unsuspecting people may touch it without knowing the danger.

The plant grows spontaneously in areas characterized by climates ranging from cold to temperate. It is easily found in the Alps and mountain forests in many places in Europe.

It can measure up to 1 meter in height and is characterized by its beautiful blue or purple (rarely white) flowers in the form of an elongated cluster that curves like a hood.

The leaves are rounded with a diameter of about 5-7 centimeters and the root has a tuberous appearance.

Due to its appearance, it can be confused with other edible tubers.


Because it is an ornamental plant, very beautiful with its purple and bluish flowers, you must have already thought about buying a seedling of this plant.

They are found on the internet and in nurseries, seedlings and seeds to plant, but be aware of their toxicity and their danger to pets and children.

We recommend wearing gloves when handling flowers and leaves. Contact with the skin can cause itching, sensory disturbances and even possible motor disturbances.

As for homeopathic or herbal medicines made with aconitine, only a doctor can prescribe and indicate their purchase.

By RedMe GreenMe. Article in Portuguese

No Comments

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exit mobile version