This is the military fleet led by the US to protect the Red Sea and this is the role of Spain

The American Secretary of State, Lloyd Austin, has announced the launch of Operation Prosperity Guardian to ensure maritime security in the Red Sea following recent attacks by Yemen’s Houthi militias. Iran-backed rebels in that country have stepped up attacks on oil tankers, cargo ships and other vessels in the Red Sea, endangering a transit route that carries up to 12 percent of global trade. “There is an international challenge that requires collective action. That’s why today I’m announcing the founding of the Operation Prosperity Guardian“, a new multinational security initiative under the umbrella of the Combined Maritime Forces and the leadership of Task Force 153 focused on security in the Red Sea,” Austin announced from Bahrain, where he is visiting.

They take part in the operation United Kingdom, Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Seychelles and Spain “To address security challenges in the southern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, with the aim of ensuring freedom of navigation for all countries and enhancing regional security and prosperity.” Some of the countries will conduct joint patrols, while others in southern Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. It is not yet clear what role Spain will play in this coalition. Other countries also agreed to take part in the operation, but preferred not to be publicly named for now.

Three American warships (the USS Carney, USS Stethem and USS Mason, (all Navy destroyers) sail through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait daily to deter and respond to Houthi attacks.

“The recent escalation of reckless Houthi attacks from Yemen threatens the free flow of trade, endangers the lives of innocent sailors and constitutes a violation of international law,” said Austin, who described the Houthi attacks as a “reckless, dangerous and violating international law.”

Austin remembered that The Red Sea “is a critically important sea route that is essential to freedom of navigation.”an important trade corridor that facilitates international trade with countries lawfully transiting international waters,” he argued.

The Yemeni armed group that controls much of the country’s north has declared itself part of the “Axis of Resistance”. by groups linked to Iran and says their campaign of attacks is aimed at ending the war in Gaza. The Houthis have also fired multiple cruise missiles, drones and ballistic missiles at Israel since October 7.

Read Also:  Pope Francis canceled his participation in the Via Crucis at the last minute

Israel’s gratitude

For his part, the Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu has thanked all participating countries for their support in the “fight against the Iranian terror axis that is threatening to close the sea crossing in the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait,” his office said in a statement Member of the Ansarulá Politburo, the official name of the Houthi movement, Mohamed al Bukaiti, has “advised” countries not to take part in this mission because it is “dishonorable” and “a disgrace,” which has also been responded to. “The United States should seek to end the crimes of genocide in Gaza instead of creating an international coalition to protect their perpetrators,” Al Bukaiti posted on his account on the social network X, formerly Twitter.

Previously, the Houthis’ military spokesman, Yahya Sari, had confirmed this Monday two attacks on two ships that, in his opinion, were linked to Israel: the oil tanker “Swan Atlantic”, which sails under the flag of the Cayman Islands – although he belongs to the Norwegian chemical tanker “Inventor” – and the cargo ship “MSC Clara”, which sails under the Panamanian flag. The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) has confirmed these attacks and reported that the “Swan Atlantic” received a hit and that the “MSC Clara” registered an explosion in the water near her location.

Fear of further attacks in the region has reduced maritime traffic. Several companies have canceled the passage of their ships, including oil major BP, following in the footsteps of Maersk, Hapag-Llyod, CMA CGM and MSC.

As a result, global ocean freight rates have increased by almost 10%, from just over $1,000 per container per shipment to almost 1,100, according to the SCFI Comprehensive Container Freight Rate Index performance.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here