The US government notified Congress on Tuesday of its intention to remove the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) from its blacklist of foreign terrorist organizations, a parliamentary source told AFP.
This decision comes on the eve of the fifth anniversary of the peace accords between the Colombian government and the FARC, which led to the disarmament and dissolution of the most powerful guerrilla in America.
"I can confirm that the government sent a notification to Congress today informing us that they are going to remove the FARC from the list of terrorist organizations."the source claimed.
Earlier, the spokesman for US diplomacy, Ned Price, had limited himself to saying that the State Department has handed over to Congress "a notification with next steps" taken by Washington regarding the FARC.
The organization had been on the US blacklist since 1997.
On November 24, 2016, then Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and Rodrigo Londoño, leader of a rebel army of 13,000 men and women, signed a peace agreement that allowed the group to become a political party.
"The peace process and the signing of the peace agreement five years ago was a fundamental turning point in the long conflict in Colombia."recalled Ned Price, who stressed that "ended five decades of conflict" and "has steered Colombia towards a just and lasting peace".
"We have done everything possible to preserve it, at every stage", he stressed. AND "We remain fully committed to working with our Colombian partners in the implementation of the peace agreement", he said.