The iconic “Flatiron” sold for 161 million dollars in New York

The “Flatiron”, an emblematic building in New York (United States), was sold at auction on Tuesday for 161 million dollars. The sale took place in the open air, in lower Manhattan, in front of a hundred people. And it was a group of buyers led by real estate developer Jeff Gural who finally won the auction, less than two months after a previous bid failed, Mannion Auctions said.

Jeff Gural, 80, is no stranger to the “Flatiron”, since he represents 75% of the owners of the iron-shaped building. On March 22, the building was sold for the first time for 190 million dollars, under an order from the city, to settle a dispute between its owners.

87 meters high and 22 floors

But the buyer, financier Jacob Garlick, founder of the Abraham Trust investment fund, had not paid the 19 million dollars in advance by March 24. The building could already have gone to Jeff Gural, boss of GFP Real Estate, who had offered 189.5 million dollars, but the latter preferred to wait for new auctions to be organized.

Read Also:  US Presidential Election 2024: Biden Tests Positive for COVID-19, Trump Supporters Wear Earplugs to Debate

A 22-story, 87-meter high office building at the crossroads of 22nd Street, Fifth Avenue and Broadway, the “Flatiron” was built in two years and completed in 1902, in the Beaux-Arts style. Its pointed shape, recognizable among all and which gave it its name, is explained by the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway, the only artery in Manhattan not aligned with the rectilinear plane of the island.

An empty building since 2019

The “Iron” had been empty since 2019 when its last tenant, publisher MacMillan Publishers, left. The five owners could not agree on its renovation, nor on its use. Four real estate companies (GFP Real Estate, Newmark, ABS Real Estate Partners and the Sorgente group) controlled it at 75%. The fifth partner, Nathan Silverstein, controlled the remaining 25%.

In 2021, the four companies sued Nathan Silverstein, accusing him of leaving the “Flatiron” empty. The municipal justice had ordered the owners to sell the building at auction.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here