The conflict in Sudan continues despite the truce and the dead accumulate

Already twenty days that the fighting rages in Khartoum. The army and the paramilitaries are vying for power in Sudan and civilians are suffering the violent consequences. A war that took the international community by surprise. Instead of political negotiations scheduled for April 15, the 45 million Sudanese woke up to the sound of artillery and air raids. “We can say that we have not succeeded in preventing” the war which took the UN “by surprise”, acknowledged its secretary general Antonio Guterres on Wednesday. From now on, the truces announced are not respected and the people killed are counted in the hundreds. Update on the latest events.

A truce barely begun, already hindered

After weeks of fighting, South Sudan, a historic mediator, announced a truce “from May 4 to 11. But as soon as it came into force, the army and the FSR (Rapid Support Forces) accused each other of violating it. “Clashes with all kinds of weapons and explosions” are shaking Khartoum, residents report to AFP.

The leader of one of Darfur’s main rebel groups, Abdel Wahid Nour, called on the two warring generals to stop fighting. “It’s a disaster,” he says. There can be no winner in this war. “We call on both sides to respect the ceasefire,” he added as multiple truces were violated as soon as they came into force in this East African country, one of the poorest in the world. world.

Diplomatic attempts continue

As diplomatic channels multiply in Africa and the Middle East, the military has pleaded for “African solutions to the continent’s problems. She also welcomed the American-Saudi mediations, after a tour this week of her emissary to Riyadh then to Cairo and to the Arab League.

Arab foreign ministers will meet on Sunday around the “Sudanese file”, in which they support different camps, a senior diplomat told AFP. General Burhane’s camp has pledged to “appoint an envoy to negotiate a truce” with the rival camp, under the aegis of “the presidents of South Sudan, Kenya and Djibouti”, in a country that has yet to be determined.

Hundreds of millions of dollars to help the population

As the exodus of Sudanese continues, foreigners continue to be evacuated by the hundreds, mainly via Port Sudan on the Red Sea. The fighting has displaced more than 335,000 people and pushed another 115,000 into exile, according to the UN, which expects eight times as many refugees. At the Egyptian border in the north, “more than 50,000 people, including 47,000 Sudanese (the) had crossed on May 3”, according to the UN which was authorized Thursday to deploy on the Egyptian side.

Read Also:  A 31-year-old man was shot dead in the Marconi district

The UN has estimated that it needs 445 million dollars to help the 860,000 people who could flee the fighting by October. This appeal for funds was presented to donor countries by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) during the day, he said in a statement, adding that Egypt and South Sudan should record the highest number of arrivals.

This figure of 860,000 people is a preliminary projection. Of this total, there would be 580,000 Sudanese, 235,000 refugees previously hosted by Sudan deciding to return to their country of origin, and 45,000 nationals of other countries.

The dead are piling up

The more than five million inhabitants of the capital now live only to the rhythm of the bombardments, holed up to avoid stray bullets in houses without water or electricity, with less and less money and food, all under crushing heat. “With each additional minute of war, people die or are thrown into the streets, society falls apart and the state weakens and breaks down a little more”, lamented Khalid Omar Youssef, a former civilian minister sacked during putsch. The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, describes the chaos in Khartoum: “an air force raid on a hospital”, the RSF “launching attacks in areas densely populated cities. »

Since April 15, at least 550 people have been killed, around 700 dead, according to the ACLED project, mainly in Khartoum and Darfur, in the western border of Chad. Faced with more than 5,000 injured, according to official figures, hospitals cannot keep up: less than one in five is still functioning in Khartoum and almost none in Darfur.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here