British police have promised to re-examine the charges against Prince Andrew after complaints from an American woman who claims she was abused by him through the network of pedophile and financial magnate Jeffrey Epstein, who was reported to have committed suicide in prison two years ago.
Virginia Roberts Giuffre, now 38, claims that Queen Elizabeth II’s second child is “one of the powerful men” to whom she was “given for sexual purposes”.
The events took place between 2000 and 2002, when the plaintiff was 16, and were committed through the extensive sex trafficking network for which Epstein was arrested.
“I asked my team to review the documents again,” London police chief Cressida Dick told British station LBC, saying the charges had already been investigated twice in cooperation with the prosecutor’s office.
“Of course we are willing to work with foreign authorities, we will provide them with all the assistance requested under the law,” added Dick, who said that “no one is above the law,” according to the AFP news agency.
Prince Andrew, who had previously rejected these charges, is accused of having “sexually assaulted” Roberts, then a minor, on three occasions: in London, at the home of someone close to Epstein, Ghislaine Maxwell; owned by a businessman from New York and the Virgin Islands.
Prince Andrew’s services declined to comment. But the royal family, who have now remained silent, as reported by The Times newspaper on Thursday, without making an official comment, expressed their doubts about Andrés’ return to public life after the abuse allegations.
As is often the case, the unofficial version came from “sources close to” Prince Charles, heir to the British crown, who suggested that the complaint “will likely reinforce the view (of the heir to the throne) that the return of the duke is impossible.”
The 61-year-old Duke of York had already “categorically” denied the allegations of the allegation in a BBC interview in November 2019, in which he expressed no regrets for his friendship with Epstein or the slightest empathy for his victims. Despite his denials, the fact that he attended the American financier forced him to withdraw from public life, although he continues to appear in public with the royal family.
Prince Charles, heir to the British crown, sees no possibility that his brother Andrés, Duke of York, will return to public life after accusations of sexual abuse that a woman has filed against him in the United States, the newspaper reports on Thursday “ The Times “.
The same source argued that, even if the suit brought by Roberts fails, it is a “reminder” of the risk that the ties of Andrés and businessman Jeffrey Epstein pose to the reputation of the royal family. Epstein was convicted in the United States of sexual abuse before committing suicide in 2019.
Roberts has filed a civil suit in New York federal court. In it, she accuses the son of Queen Elizabeth II of England of “sexually assaulting her” when she was 17, after being pressured by Epstein to have sex with the Duke of York.
Prince Andrew is currently at Balmoral Castle (Scotland) accompanied by the Queen and her ex-wife Sarah Ferguson as they prepare their defense against the case with their American lawyers.