Samsung hosted its traditional Galaxy Unpacked conference on Wednesday, August 11, 2021. This year, the presentation was not dedicated to a new Galaxy Note. Instead, the Seoul giant unveiled two new folding smartphones: the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3. Accessories such as the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Buds 2 also made a notable appearance.
Every year, Samsung organizes an Unpacked conference in late summer. Until now, this summer presentation has always focused on the new Galaxy Note. Last year was also the opportunity to discover the Galaxy Note 20. This year, the Unpacked conference was very different.
Instead of a new pen phablet, Samsung has renewed its collapsible smartphone catalog. As expected, the company wanted to capitalize on the advancement made by other manufacturers in the field of folding phones. There are also rumors that the shortage of computer chips, which has hit the entire industry since the health crisis, has precipitated the abandonment of the Note line. For now, it’s not clear whether Samsung plans to resurrect the range at a later date. In any case, there won’t be any new Galaxy Note this year, that’s for sure.
Read also: Samsung introduces the Exynos W920, the first SoC recorded at 5 nm for connected watches
How to review the Samsung Unpacked Conference?
- How to review the Samsung Unpacked Conference : watching the YouTube video above
- how long does the conference last : just over an hour
What are the main announcements from the Samsung Unpacked conference?
- Samsung revealed a new folding smartphone tablet convertible: the Galaxy Z Fold 3. The foldable smartphone is similar to the Galaxy Z Fold 2, its predecessor. However, it stands out thanks to a more spacious secondary screen, a front camera hidden under the dashboard (a first for Samsung) and the presence of the S-Pen stylus, the flagship accessory of the Galaxy Note line. As expected, the Z Fold 3 is cheaper than the Z Fold 2. The smartphone costs 1,799 euros in its 256 GB version and 1,899 euros in its 512 GB edition.
- The second star of the conference is none other than the Galaxy Z Flip 3, a new clamshell-shaped smartphone. Much like its predecessor, it does well thanks to a more spacious secondary screen, a sturdier chassis and a front-facing camera hidden under the main screen. Note that the two foldable smartphones are waterproof as they are both IP X8 certified. This is the first time on a phone built around a folding screen. Again, the price is reduced compared to the previous generation. The smartphone sells for €1059, instead of €1509 in the previous edition. Samsung is looking to attract a wide range of consumers.
- Samsung also took advantage of the Unpacked conference to announce a bunch of accessories. First, the South Korean giant unveiled a new generation of connected watches: the Galaxy Watch 4. Available in two models, the watches run One UI Watch, a new operating system dedicated to connected watches based on Wear. CAP. In addition, they carry a compass, a body composition analysis tool and monitors for blood oxygen, heart rate and sleep.
- Finally, Samsung took advantage of the event to present a new pair of True Wireless headphones, the Galaxy Buds 2. Less sophisticated than the Galaxy Buds Pro released earlier this year, the Buds 2 mark the arrival of active noise reduction technology in the brand’s affordable headphones. On the design side, Samsung has abandoned the bean-shaped look for a more classic look, with silicone tips to fit the ear.