Migrants in NY have 60 days to leave the shelters

New York City announced Wednesday that it will give long-term adult immigrants in shelters 60 days to find alternative housing to make room for families with children who have continued to pour in since last year, Mayor Eric Adams said.

Adams made the announcement at a press conference in which he reiterated that the city does not have more space and that since the migratory flow began, 90,000 people have already arrived, of which 54,000 are under the care of the city.

Those 54,000 immigrants are roughly half of the 105,800 people the city hosts in its shelters.

“We are going to give asylum seekers (as immigrants are often called) a 60-day notice to prepare to seek alternative accommodation,” said the mayor, adding: “Our social services will help them explore other options and get in touch with their networks of friends and family.”

restart the process

If they do not find a place to live in those 60 days, they will have to start the process of requesting a new place in another shelter.

New York’s real estate market, one of the most expensive in the country, doesn’t make things easy for immigrants, especially if they don’t have a job.

“We have no more space in the city. It cannot continue, it is not sustainable and we are not going to pretend otherwise,” insisted Adams, who also announced a campaign to combat “disinformation at the border”, in the sense that they want to discourage those who think of coming to New York hoping for an open door policy.

In the past year of the immigration crisis, the city has been forced to rent hotels and find other accommodation for immigrants, single adults and families with children, to whom it also provides food and guarantees a place for the children in the public school system.

Last week, more than 2,800 immigrants entered the shelters provided by the city.

tickets will also go up

The tickets of the public transport system in New York, the largest in the country, will rise from August 6 and will go from 2.75 to 2.90 dollars (2.45 to 2.58 euros) per trip, as approved yesterday unanimously by the board of directors of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA).

With this increase in subway and bus tickets, the MTA expects to generate an income of 117 million dollars for this year, according to the agency.

This will be the first increase since 2019 for the MTA, which manages the transportation system, since the one scheduled for 2021 did not take effect due to the health crisis caused by the pandemic.

The price of the express buses will increase from $6.75 to $7 each trip, while the monthly unlimited travel cards on the subway will go from $33 to $34 for one week and from $127 to $132 for 30 days.

Toll rates continue to vary depending on the type of vehicle and the bridge or tunnel through which it travels, the MTA also recalled in a statement.

restore economic stability

According to the president of the MTA, Janno Lieber, the increase is a step to restore the economic stability of that agency, which suffered losses with the closure of the city although it had already been dragging financial problems. The MTA faces a debt of 48,000 million dollars.

Among other actions that the agency is taking to stabilize its finances is dealing with non-payments -thousands of people sneak into the subway and buses every day in full view of the whole world-, which last year led them to lose 690 million dollars, according to the Gothamist newspaper.

According to the agency, the “modest increase” in fares and tolls is a practice that began in 2009 in which “small, predictable adjustments” are made every two years.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here