Mexico bans glyphosate and 400,000 manufacturers have already stopped using it

A relevant fact is that about 400,000 producers, part of the technical assistance strategy under the Production for Well-being program, have decided to stop using glyphosate in their crops, in accordance with the Presidential Decree of February 13, 2023 , which is gradually banning the use of this chemical and phasing out its use in 2024.

During a press conference dedicated to reporting on the progress of the program, the Undersecretary of Food Self-Sufficiency of the Ministry of Agriculture, Víctor Suárez, pointed out that in the first half of this year, a total of one million seven hundred and sixty thousand producers benefited from direct support from the program and is expected to close the year with support of 2 million.

A program to support producers

The program in question provides annual direct support to 2 million small and medium-sized producers. It will soon celebrate its fifth anniversary. It is estimated that the growing and accumulated budget during the current administration will reach more than 81 billion pesos by the end of 2024.

He added that “production for well-being” is a fundamental part of the government’s strategy, committed to food self-sufficiency and saving rural areas, working closely with Sembrando Vida from the Ministry of Well-being and Fertilizers for Well-Being, Guaranteed Prices and Bienpesca, from the Ministry of Agriculture.

He said the producers supported “were in many cases on the margins of the public policies of the past, as they were considered unproductive due to their small size.” Thanks to the support, families and communities can now achieve food self-sufficiency and generate surpluses for the market . It is important to highlight that 84% of the beneficiaries are small producers, while the remaining 16% are medium producers. This support was crucial to strengthening their productivity and improving their quality of life.

The Production for Wellbeing program provides direct assistance to small and medium-scale producers of crops such as corn, beans, wheat, rice, other cereals, corn fields, coffee, sugar cane, cocoa, honey and cacti. At the beginning of the current government, subsidies were provided only for cereals, but over time other products were also included.

With information from Angelica Enciso In

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here