Lula retakes the reins of Brazil after vandalism

The president of Brazil, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, met the public powers in Brasilia on Monday while some 1,500 people were detained after the invasion on Sunday of official buildings by supporters of former president Jair Bolsonaro who sought the fall of the president.

The heads of public powers in Brazil, headed by Lula, closed ranks against the acts of vandalism that occurred on Sunday, when thousands of supporters of the far-right ex-president stormed the headquarters of the Presidency, Congress and the Supreme Court.

In an unusual joint statement, published on Lula’s Twitter, the heads of the Senate, the Chamber of Deputies and the Federal Supreme Court rejected the “terrorist, vandal, criminal and coup acts” in the capital.

“We call on society to maintain serenity, in defense of peace and democracy,” they said.

Those responsible met at the Planalto Palace, where Lula resumed his activities despite the fact that the property was one of the vandalized sites, with broken windows and vandalized offices.

The emblematic buildings of the Brazilian capital were taken on Sunday for almost four hours by thousands of Bolsonaro supporters who demanded a military intervention to remove Lula from office that he assumed a week ago, on January 1.

The incidents were reminiscent of the attacks on the Capitol in Washington two years ago, carried out by supporters of then-US President Donald Trump, an ally of Bolsonaro.

worldwide rejection

Sunday’s actions were condemned in unison by the international community, from the US and French governments to Russia and China.

Read Also:  Ivan Cornejo's Cinematic Short Film ¡Suerte! Shot on the Latest iPhone 15 Technology

“I am absolutely convinced that Brazil will face this situation with the appropriate responsibility,” said United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres.

The Brazilian authorities launched since Sunday night investigations to find those responsible for the riots and their possible financiers.

As of yesterday, Monday, some 1,500 people had been detained, reported Flavio Dino, Minister of Justice and Security, specifying that most of them were in a camp in Brasilia from where a large part of the attackers left.

Hundreds of police and military were deployed yesterday Monday in different parts of the country, such as Brasilia, Rio and Sao Paulo, to dismantle similar structures, from where a military intervention was demanded two months ago.

The demilitarization responded to an order by a Supreme Court judge to completely vacate “within 24 hours” the encampments, set up in front of military barracks by supporters of Bolsonaro disgruntled by his narrow defeat to Lula in the presidential runoff on October 30. “I do not agree with what was done yesterday. It is vandalism, it is destroying heritage that is ours,” said Ionar Bispo, a resident.

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here