On Monday night, good news was announced for the Dominican team that will participate in the fifth edition of the World Baseball Classic.
Nelson Cruz, general manager of the tricolor troop confirmed the participation of Juan Soto in the event that begins next Saturday.
Cruz said that the stellar outfielder for the San Diego Padres did not travel with the Dominican team for their training camp to Fort Myers, which begins this Tuesday due to a precautionary issue, but that he will travel to Miami next Friday to practice with the equipment.
“Soto has been playing in the intersquad matches, I have been in conversations with him and with the manager, so far everything is a matter of precaution,” Cruz said at a press conference held via the zoom platform.
Cruz also revealed the starting rotation order for the Dominican team.
Sandy Alcantara will launch the opening match for the Dominican Republic next Saturday against Venezuela.
Christian Xavier will be in charge of launching the second game against the Nicaraguan team, next Monday.
While Roansy Contreras will be the pitcher for the third game against Israel next Tuesday.
Johnny Cueto will have the responsibility of taking the mound in the last game of the group stage against Puerto Rico.
Cueto and Roansy
Roansy Contreras and Johnny Cueto will be responsible for taking the mound in the warm-up games against the Atlanta Braves and Minnesota healds.
Contreras will pitch Wednesday against Atlanta and Cueto will pitch against the Twins.
Pittsburgh Pirates left-handed reliever Jarlin Garcia will sit out the event due to a left arm injury sustained in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies. Cruz said that between this Tuesday and tomorrow Wednesday it will be announced who will replace him on the roster.