Helmond Sport will not play football against FC Emmen on Friday evening. The Brabant first division club says it does not have enough players to take action. The KNVB confirms that the match has been removed from the program.

“We can get ten people on their feet with pain and effort,” said Philippe van Esch, director of Helmond Sport, at Omroep Brabant.

Several players from the team of head coach Wil Boessen have tested positive for corona and the club is also dealing with various injuries. Helmond has made a request to the KNVB to postpone the match, but the association has ignored that request.

Apologies

“Helmond Sport has always done everything it can to prevent infections by adhering to the corona guidelines and applying a strict test policy. Nevertheless, Helmond Sport apologizes for the situation that has arisen, especially towards FC Emmen. We deeply regret that we cannot fulfill our sporting duty due to force majeure,” the club writes.

According to the rules of the KNVB, clubs must have twelve field players and one goalkeeper available to play in a corona outbreak. The KNVB previously canceled matches for Excelsior and Jong AZ, but now, according to the association, there is no question of ‘a medically uncontrolled outbreak’, as was the case with those clubs.

The club runs the risk of a regulatory defeat and points deduction. “And maybe a fine and disciplinary committees,” adds Van Esch. Yet the director is firm and says that Helmond will not take action. “The world has gone crazy.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here