He brutally kicked the referee, was arrested and is charged with attempted murder

A Brazilian soccer player was arrested and charged with attempted murder by the violent kick that he gave a referee in the neck while he was on the floor, in a match of the Second Division of the Rio Grande do Sul state league.

Willian Ribeiro, Sao Paulo de Río Grande forward, was arrested by the police at dawn this Tuesday after the incident that left the judge unconscious and forced the suspension of the match between his team and Guaraní, played in Venancio Aires, a municipality in the interior of the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul.

The event occurred in minute 14 of the second half, when the aggressor argued with the referee for a foul that he allegedly suffered and that it was not sanctioned.

Ribeiro will have to answer criminally for attempted murder for the kick he gave to the referee Rodrigo Crivellaro, whom he attacked when he was already on the ground after having pushed him violently after a first hit.

Crivellaro, who lost consciousness, had to be removed by ambulance from the Edmundo Feix stadium and taken to a municipal hospital, where his health was classified as stable on Tuesday. The portal Gaúcho Informs later released pictures of the collegiate being removed from the place in a wheelchair and with a neck brace.

Ribeiro will have to stay in a penitentiary while Justice decides whether to confirm his preventive detention or to allow him to respond to the process in freedom.

“The attack was very strong, violent, and in the head of the referee, which made him faint and was taken to the hospital, so he can be framed for attempted murder “, explained Vinicius Assunçao, commissioner of the Venancio Aires Civil Police.

Read Also:  Feyenoord Delays PSV's Alirón in Eredivisie Title Race

“The victim, moreover, had no defense conditions. He had already been beaten while standing and then fell and was unable to defend himself. He could have died or even suffered a serious brain injury, “he added.

The Sao Paulo de Río Grande club condemned what happened in a statement and announced the immediate termination of the footballer’s contract stopped.

William Ribeiro at the time of arrest. (Image: @GauchoInforma)

The Rio Grande do Sul State Soccer Federation regretted what happened and said that the case will also be tried by the Sports Justice.

Ribeiro, 30, already had a history of violence on the playing fields. The striker, who started his career in the youth divisions of Internacional de Porto Alegre and has played for several clubs in the second division of Rio Grande do Sul, was sent off in a match in 2014 for punching an opponent in a match between Guaraní, in which he was active at that time, and Pelotas.

He was also charged with assault a fan in an episode off the court. Complete.


Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here