Home World Haiti remembers the victims of the 2021 earthquake

Haiti remembers the victims of the 2021 earthquake

Haití recuerda a las víctimas del terremoto del año 2021

Haiti, immersed in a pressing crisis, recalled yesterday, Sunday, the victims of the 7.2-magnitude earthquake, which devastated the south a year ago, whose reconstruction is proceeding slowly.

In addition to the deaths, the earthquake left 12,500 injured and 800,000 homeless throughout the southern peninsula of Haiti, and was followed by a series of aftershocks that affected more than 800,000 people, including 340,000 minors.

The earthquake near Nippes, some 150 kilometers west of Port-au-Prince, was preceded by the assassination of President Jovenel Moise on July 7 in an assault on his residence, an event that has exacerbated the fight for territory between armed gangs, which contribute to increasing the crisis situation in the country.

Tribute to the victims
In a series of messages on Twitter, the Prime Minister of Haiti, Ariel Henry, remembered the victims and assured that his government “spares no efforts or sacrifices to continue supporting” those affected by the earthquake, the second deadliest of the last 25 years in Latin America, a list that heads the earthquake that occurred in 2010 in this nation, in which nearly 300,000 people died.

“On this sadly memorable August 14, I renew my feelings of solidarity with the brave people of the south, on the occasion of the first anniversary of the terrible earthquake that devastated this region,” wrote Henry, the highest authority in Haiti after the assassination of President Moise.

Faced with “this pain and this ordeal that still disrupts the day-to-day life of our brothers and sisters in the south,” the Prime Minister called on his compatriots “to reflect, to show solidarity to continue showing the same spirit of coexistence as after the disaster.” .

Slowness
A year after the earthquake and when part of the country is plagued by war between armed gangs, reconstruction has hardly advanced in the south, one of the most vulnerable in the country and where thousands of people were left homeless.

“The reconstruction is not too advanced,” Jo-Ann Garnier, executive director of the NGO ENPAK, which works with people with disabilities, told Efe.

But, he added, the reconstruction that is being carried out has not taken into account accessibility for people with disabilities in this area, where at least 5,000 people with some special condition are in a situation of humanitarian need after the earthquake.

Even before the earthquake, the issue of accessibility was a major concern.

“These are people who are forced to rely on others because of the inaccessibility of the built environment,” he said.

Despite this, in his messages yesterday the prime minister stated that he was “delighted” with the results obtained so far.

Conference.
On February 16, the international conference of donors for the reconstruction of the South Peninsula was held in Port-au-Prince, promising 600 million dollars to start the reconstruction, a third of the 2,000 million expected.

Figures.
1,515 million dollars were requested for the social sectors, 197 million for the productive sector, 172 million for infrastructure and 94 million for transversal sectors for the next four.

No Comments

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exit mobile version