Ford reports that European customers can now access Amazon Alexa through the Alexa Built-in service, a technology that allows users to ask questions or give directions directly in the vehicle without the need for a smartphone. For example, Alexa integrated enables drivers to get the first news of the day and traffic information on their way to work, or to regulate the temperature of their home remotely to control their energy bills. As the company outlines in a statement, this functionality is available through a Ford power-up software updateinstalled wirelessly.
Alexa Built-in is one of the features implemented by Ford Power-Up software for the wide range of vehicles equipped with the SYNC 4 and SYNC 4A communications and entertainment systems. Vehicles would also be included here Ford Mustang Mach-E And Ford Mustang Mach-E GT, Focus and Focus ST. Alexa Built-in will also be integrated into select vehicles during the production phase, which will be available to customers in Europe later this year. These include the Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Mustang Mach-E GT and Focus.
Amazon Alexa integrated
Ford will add more features to core Alexa features. Designed to extend Alexa’s home capabilities, the Alexa Built-in service enhances the driving experience:
- Entertainment: Drivers can check the weather, ask Alexa to tell a joke, or even ask her the height of the Eiffel Tower.
- productivity: Drivers can make calls, add items to shopping lists, and check calendars.
- vehicle control: Drivers can adjust cabin temperature or request navigation to a destination.
- smart home: Drivers can remotely control available smart home devices such as smart thermostats.
«We’re excited to bring Alexa to Ford customers in Europe, continuing our mission to deliver personalised, proactive and intuitive digital experiences that delight drivers and passengers alike.“, has explained Dean Miles, Director of Product and Business Management for Amazon Smart Vehicles. «Speech AI is great for environments where people are focused on other tasks, and that’s especially important in a vehicle. We’re excited to hear feedback from Ford customers on how Alexa enriches their driving experience.“Miles added.
Drivers also have the option to register Ford streaming, which allows unlimited access to streaming audio or breaking news; as well as the ability to play via Alexa. With a free 90-day trial, drivers can listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks on Alexa-compatible platforms. These include Amazon Music, audible either igniteand other third party services to which customers may subscribe.
The latest software updates Turn on Ford They also present to the customer Ability to pair two phones at the same time, so no one has to argue about who gets to connect their phone to the SYNC 4 system. Drivers can also quickly switch between two phones, which is ideal for both business and personal mobile access. In vehicles, there is the option of pairing two devices Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Mustang Mach-E GT, Focus, Focus ST, Transit And e-traffic.
Likewise, the company has facilitated the Interior temperature control via the SYNC screen. Design updates make it easier to view and adjust internal temperature. The latest update also includes a Game series to entertain Mustang Mach-E customers when the vehicle is charging or remains parked. Among them are Sudoku, puzzles and the driving game Lane Change.
Questions for the expert Charles Nolan, director of marketing for Ford Worldwide Services
- How do Ford Power-Up software updates work? What should drivers do? Ford Power-Up software updates keep Ford vehicles up-to-date with a variety of improvements, new features and capabilities. Installation is done wirelessly, via home Wi-Fi or a vehicle connection. Once customers have opted in to Ford Power-Up updates during initial setup, Alexa Built-in integration and other features happen seamlessly in the background. Some updates may require the vehicle not to be used and drivers can schedule them at a time that is most convenient for them.
- What testing did the Ford team do to ensure Alexa Built-in is helping drivers and working smoothly? We have worked closely with Amazon to ensure our customers enjoy seamless Alexa integration and a good user experience. We’ve also pilot tested the functionality on a select group of internal fleet vehicles to ensure the experience truly enhances our customers’ journeys and everyday lives.
- What’s the most useful thing about integrating Alexa into your daily driving? When I get home from work, having access to Alexa is best. I’m an avid Audible user and use Ford Streaming data to listen to fiction and information based on how my day was going. Alexa helps me bridge the gap between my work and personal life. It’s also useful for checking when the next appointment is on my calendar, or for adding something I remember to my shopping list while driving: “Alexa, add popcorn to my to-‘list'” the purchase “ list.
- What future Ford Power-Up updates is Ford planning? The Alexa integration was a major upgrade that forced us to improve Ford Power-Up’s capabilities. However, as a result, our customers will begin to see exciting new features that make their Ford vehicles safer, more fun and more exciting to drive. Stay tuned for more information.