If in the New Year you promised to have a healthier 2023 and you still haven’t started, we share some tips so you can do it.
It’s easy to say that you want to take care of your health, but putting it into practice to achieve that goal can be difficult. To help you implement creative and healthy habits, we’ve created a detailed list of tips.
- Add a serving of vegetables to your daily diet : Do you think your diet may be low in vegetables? Vegetables are full of nutrients that have several health benefits, including reducing the risk of chronic diseases. Increase your vegetable intake by adding an extra serving of vegetables to your diet every day. Blend them into a smoothie, enjoy them as an accompaniment to a meal or snack, or try some vegetarian alternatives to your favorite foods.
- Take time to write in a journal : We’ve all heard about the benefits of journaling, but it can be hard to find the time to jot down your thoughts. Make an effort to journal, even if it’s just a few times a week. This can reduce stress, allow you to clarify your thoughts and feelings, get to know yourself better, solve problems more effectively, and resolve disagreements with others. All of this is fundamental to good emotional health.
- Incorporate physical activity into your routine at least 5 days a week : The CDC recommends that people engage in 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise each week. Adding 30 minutes of walking, running or cycling to your routine 5 days a week will help you feel better in the short and long term. Physical activity not only promotes weight loss, reduces the risk of various chronic diseases, and strengthens muscles and bones, it also improves cognition and reduces anxiety.
- Invest in a planner to write your schedule : Maybe structuring your day better is a good idea. Using a planner will allow you to organize your weekly and daily schedule. This helps with time management, improves productivity, relieves stress and allows you to have time for more creative pursuits.
- Find a training partner and create a weekly program: It can be hard to motivate yourself to get in a good workout. Find a friend or family member to be your training partner! Plan the days, times, and types of exercises you plan to do together each week. According to the CDC, this will make you more likely to feel motivated, adventurous, and consistent.
- Store healthy items and organize your pantry and fridge: The best way to encourage yourself to eat better is to surround yourself with healthy options. Start by having a good stock in the pantry and fridge. Arrange them so they are visually appealing and visible when they are running low. This will save you money and time in the future.
- Try a new healthy recipe every week : Want to add healthier foods to your or your family’s diet? Take on the fun challenge of trying a new healthy recipe every week! Opt for recipes full of veggies and lean protein. This will keep healthy eating fun and exciting as 2023 progresses.
- Invest in a large, reusable water bottle and commit to drinking enough each day. : It is recommended that men drink 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of water a day and women drink 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of water a day. While that might seem like a lot, filling your water bottle 3-4 times a day can help you reach that goal! Drinking plenty of water has a number of health benefits, including maximizing physical performance, boosting energy levels and brain function, and preventing headaches.
- Call a new friend/relative every week: Maintain your relationships by getting in touch, at least via WhatsApp message, with those you haven’t had the opportunity to see often. It can help you increase your sense of belonging and purpose, increase your happiness and reduce your stress, improve your self-confidence and self-esteem, help you deal with trauma, and encourage you to change and avoid unhealthy lifestyle habits.
- Set aside 10 minutes every morning to meditate: Taking time each morning to slow down and get a grip on your thoughts can be extremely beneficial. It will help you start your day on a positive note, improve your awareness, prevent stress and anxiety, focus on the big picture, and improve your overall health. Choose to set aside time to meditate every morning or whenever you can.
- Commit to preparing meals every week : Have you had trouble finding time to prepare nutritious homemade meals? Set aside time every weekend to prepare the week’s meal! This will allow you to maintain a healthy diet, save time and money, reduce your stress levels, manage portion sizes, and build a better relationship with food.
- Choose cooking instead of ordering: Making time to cook can seem impossible some days. However, this gives you more control over ingredients and serving size, allowing you to feel better. Choose simple, healthy recipes that require little preparation and cooking time. Invest in a crock pot, pressure cooker or steamer to help make cooking quick, healthy and easy!
- make your bed every morning: Making your bed each morning is a great way to start your day on a positive note (and washing your sheets weekly is also important). This will increase your productivity, lower your stress, improve your mood, and increase the overall order of your room.
- Schedule a family walk, hike, or bike ride each week : Are you looking for ways to increase your family’s physical activity? Schedule an outdoor activity in advance each week! Incorporating a walk or bike ride into your family’s weekly schedule can establish lifelong habits, increase bonding time, allow you to lead by example, improve physical and emotional well-being, and promote physical health.
- Try a new fruit/vegetable every week : Have you started to feel bored eating healthy? Look in the supermarket for unique fruits and vegetables that are not the usual ones. Increasing the variety of your fruit and vegetable intake will provide you with a variety of vitamins and minerals that contain numerous health benefits. Add new fruits and vegetables to your diet, incorporating one each week as 2023 progresses.
- Replace a portion of soda and other sugary drinks with water: We all know that sodas and other sugary drinks are not healthy options, but we still often incorporate them into our diets. Such drinks lead to weight gain and the development of various chronic diseases. Instead of sacrificing your health, make it your year’s resolution to cut back on unhealthy beverages! Achieve this goal by replacing one serving of these drinks with water each week.
- Replace unhealthy snacks with healthy alternatives: Midday and late night hunger pangs can often lead to consumption of bags of chips and highly processed candy. Choose to prioritize your health by replacing unhealthy snacks with healthier alternatives. Healthy snacks can increase nutrient intake, maintain energy levels, and help the body recover from exercise. Try different healthy options including fruits, vegetables or nuts and find your favorite combination! Start by swapping out 2-3 snacks a week for healthier options and increase as 2023 progresses.