Home World Afghanistan: 70% of media outlets shut down, journalists unemployed

Afghanistan: 70% of media outlets shut down, journalists unemployed

Since the Taliban came to power, the Afghan media has suffered from a severe financial crisis, as well as access to news and media freedom, which has shut down 70 percent of the country’s media.

According to a survey by the National Union of Journalists in Afghanistan, only 33% of journalists are still working, while the remaining 67% have lost their jobs.

According to the survey, only 30 percent of the media has been operating in the country since the Taliban came to power, while 70 percent of the media industry has stopped working.

According to Afghan media, more than 150 media outlets across Afghanistan have stopped working in the past two months.

According to Independent Urdu, people associated with the industry say that since the US withdrawal and the Taliban came to power, the aid and advertisements of foreign organizations have ceased, which has created a crisis situation in these institutions.

On the other hand, according to the Afghan channel Tolo News, the heads of a local radio station in Laghman province claimed that a local commander affiliated with the Islamic Emirate attacked the station and took control of the compound.

The head of the radio station, Hamid Khyber, said that on the first day of the Taliban’s rise to power, a local commander had threatened journalists and stopped the operation after seizing the compound.

Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman Qari Saeed Khosti said the matter was being investigated and that wherever the Taliban were present in anyone’s home or office, they should contact the Interior Ministry.


No Comments

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exit mobile version