8 dangerous indoor plants for dogs and cats

It’s important to know which plants can be dangerous for your furry friends: dogs and cats. So we’re here to tell you why they’re dangerous and what symptoms should alert you. Make sure you are aware of the risks before bringing any plants home.

If you have pets like dogs and cats, it’s important to know that there are some houseplants that may not be safe for them. Some can cause simple allergies, while others carry serious risks such as gastrointestinal problems and even death. It’s vital to know which houseplants are dangerous so you can identify and avoid them. Understanding what these poisonous plants are is the key to this.

To avoid any potential risk, it is important to be aware of the dangers that these plants pose, not only for pets but also for people; especially if you have kids around. It pays to be more vigilant in this regard to safeguard the well-being of everyone in your household.

Dangerous plants for dogs and cats that you should avoid at home

Despite the visual appeal of plants, pet owners should be aware of potential hazards their beloved pets may face. Unfortunately, many people do not take this into account when decorating their homes. It is essential to know the types of plants that can pose a risk to dogs and cats when deciding on home decor. That way, you can make informed decisions and keep your furry friends safe.

In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the various houseplants that can be dangerous for your pets to eat. We’ll also discuss the effects they can have on your pet and why these reactions occur.

1. Peace lily

The attractive dark green leaves and cream-colored flowers of the Spathiphyllum cochlearispathum (peace lily) make it a popular choice among houseplants. Unbeknownst to its fans, however, it contains a dangerous toxin called insoluble calcium oxalate that can be harmful to humans and pets..

The investigation in oxalates revealed its ability to damage the mucous membranes. These chemicals can be found in bleach, metal cleaners and rust removers. If your pets consume it, you may notice some symptoms like:

  • Intense burning in the mouth, tongue and lips.
  • Difficulty swallowing.
  • excessive drooling
  • vomit

2. Mother-in-law’s language

Sanseviera, better known as mother-in-law’s tongue, is a beautiful and useful houseplant. In addition to looking great and bringing life to any home, studies show that it can help purify the air where it is stored.

Unfortunately, this plant is highly toxic to cats and dogs as it contains toxins in its leaves that are difficult to resist. As a pet owner, it’s important to take extra precautions when having this around your furry friends.

A study Scientist revealed that raphides of calcium oxalate and saponins are present in the item. These compounds have been found to cause irritation to the mucous membranes as discussed above.

Symptoms of poisoning in pets are as follows:

  • Lethargy.
  • Anorexia.
  • Salivation.
  • Depression.
  • dehydration.
  • Vomiting and nausea.

3. Sago palm

Despite its popularity in tropical-style decor, the sago palm (Cycas revoluta) can be dangerous to dogs and cats because of its natural attraction to its tufted leaves. It is important to note that the sago palm is toxic and can cause health problems.

Pets can be poisoned by the Cycas revoluta plant, as demonstrated by a clinical case. Science has identified three toxic components of this plant:

  • Cycasine: When it comes into contact with certain bacteria found in the digestive tract of animals, methylazoxymethanol develops and can cause acute hepatotoxicity.
  • Bamino-l-alanine acid: Depression, as well as problems related to nerve and motor skills, such as ataxia, can be caused by mental health issues.
  • Unidentified high molecular weight molecules: It results in impairment of the central nervous system.

4.Aloe vera

Although aloe vera plants are famous for their health benefits, they can be dangerous for dogs and cats. They can cause mild discomfort that can get worse over time if left untreated.

Read Also:  Green Le Puy lentils. Antioxidants and proteins

Aloe vera, the plant that is famous for its gel and crystal form within its leaves, has a number of benefits. The gel is known to be a laxative and helps heal wounds as well as reduce inflammation, so it’s incredibly handy to have around. However, ingesting too many crystals can cause unpleasant gastrointestinal problems that even experts advise against:

  • Colic.
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Hypothermia.

5. Lily of the Valley

The beauty of the lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis) makes it ideal for ornamental purposes. Its delicate leaves and flowers make it perfect for flower arrangements or in vases.

The Chilean Institute of Public Health has warned that this plant is highly toxic in all its parts, which makes it one of the most powerful cardiotoxic substances known. Because of this, it is considered a very dangerous plant and should be avoided.

In all, there are over 30 cardiac glycosides known to encourage the heart to beat faster and harder. Also, saponins can cause gastric upset when consumed.

Various symptoms can be observed in humans, dogs or cats and include the following:

  • Low heart rate or bradycardia.
  • Excessive salivation.
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Dilated pupils.
  • Hypothermia.

6. Millionaire

Dieffenbachia seguene, also known as the millionaire plant, has become a common plant due to its association with good luck and financial wealth. Although highly toxic and dangerous to people and pets, the plant’s allure is undeniable.

The studies show that the main toxic substance contained in this plant is a strong and caustic latex formed from crystals of calcium oxalate. This high concentration makes it dangerous to touch, causing skin irritation and even mild burns.

Eating something that is not intended for consumption can cause inflammation and blockage of the trachea in pets. Signs that your pet may be experiencing this include:

  • vomit
  • eye pain
  • Excessive salivation.
  • Skin irritation.
  • Bloody diarrhea.
  • Burns on the mucous membranes.
  • Intestinal pain and spasms.

7. Kalanchoe

Kalanchoe species are often found in homes across the world due to their pleasing aesthetics. What people don’t know is that they produce toxic substances, such as bufadienolides or toad poison, which can be dangerous if ingested.

research articles determined that this poison has an effect on the cardiovascular system. Although the whole plant is dangerous, it is the flowers that do the most damage.

Some of the symptoms of poisoning are as follows:

  • Cardiac arrest.
  • Abdominal pain.
  • Excessive salivation.
  • Hemorrhagic enteritis.
  • Mild or complex arrhythmias and tachycardias.

8. Poinsettia

Poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima) are increasingly seen in homes during the festive period of Christmas, adding to the holiday cheer. Although aesthetically pleasing, the sap of this plant contains various chemicals such as euphorbons, triterpenes, steroids and flavonoids. According to scientific studies, latex is largely composed of these compounds.

Euphorbin is the most dangerous among other chemical compounds and can cause a burning sensation. If your beloved pets are exposed to this, they may report the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Dysphagia and inflammation of the mucous membranes.
  • Excessive salivation, especially in cats.
  • Inflammation in areas where the skin comes into contact with the plant.

What to do if your dogs or cats ingest these dangerous plants?

The symptoms that pets can experience when they eat houseplants can range from mild to severe. If you don’t have previous experience, it’s best to take them to a vet and get professional assistance. In severe conditions, hospitalization and monitoring may be required.

However, it is recommended not to have these plants in your home. Or if you do, make sure you keep them away from any pets as they can cause problems.

With information from better with health

Recent Articles

Related News

Leave A Reply

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here